Saturday, April 08, 2006

strawberries

We live in one of the largest strawberry producing regions, there is a huge strawberry festival each year in Oxnard. Thousands from the greater LA area come.

And, my wife LOVES STRAWBERRIES! This is her time of year, strawberry season. It has always worked for me, in the past her love of strawberries kept the family well fed with those juicy tidbits. Now it is my turn to fix them, two or three times a week.

I was preparing strawberries for her lunch, it's a job I really dislike. (The cleaning of the strawberries, not fixing my wife lunch.) Wash them off, take out the core, trim any bad spots, and slice, and slice, and slice, take another strawberry . . . . you know the drill.

About 2/3rds of the way through the first basket I remembered hearing about using an hard boiled egg slicer for mushrooms or strawberries. Rummaging through the utensil drawer I found it, umm, the wires look OK, Oh Oh, one of the hinges is broken. What the heck, here goes, hey it's working, ha ha it's working. I've found the holy grail of strawberry slicing. All is right with the world, well lunch anyway.

Seriously, it works very well, I had the rest of the three baskets done about the same time as the first 2/3rds took. I also noticed that the process could be streamlined by cutting off the top of the strawberries that wasn't good. Up until then I cored them, then cut the part off the top that wasn't good. By cutting first, most of the time there wasn't enough core left to bother with removing it.

Well this is my strawberry hint, I hope it will make your life a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment